Thursday, August 27, 2009

Garden update

I thought that it was time for another garden update. Hard to believe that it's been a month since the last pictures, and yet our garden is coming right along. In this first picture you can see how the whole thing is laid out. Weedy, very weedy, but still productive.
The Zucchini is... plentiful. What else can you say? I've been grating and freezing it. Zucchini bread in January is a wonderful thing. The cherry tomatoes have been doing well, but this tomato is the first slicing tomato to begin to ripen. I sure hope we can a lot more before the first frost. The lettuce is doing so well! Usually it all bolts in our one week of "real" summer but it miraculously survived and needs to be thinned (again). I read somewhere that the mark of a good gardener is being able to have a salad with both lettuce and tomatoes so I guess that means I've succeeded (Even if I don't know why). And we are getting tiny sprouts on our Brussel sprouts! I've never successfully grown Brussel Sprouts before so now I just have to save them from the cabbage moths, I guess.
I don't know how well you can see in the first picture, but both our pole beans and cherry tomatoes are growing on arches made from cattle panels. They cherry tomatoes haven't gotten very tall and so aren't impressive, but I'm loving it for the beans! They've almost met in the top and today was the first time I got to just stand underneath the arch and pick. Blissful. The corn is filling out... I actually picked my first ear today and the beets are going crazy. This is also the first year beets have survived in my garden. It's been quite depressing to me, since beets are an actual crop here... they should grow! But at least they finally did. And chopped small, roasted and put into a salad they are quite divine!
Posted by Picasa

Next year we won't be doing a big garden... just the pots in the backyard. And while I'm somewhat relieved, I'm also a bit sad. It's just so fun to see the improvement over the past three years!

2 comments:

  1. Wow! These plants have grown so much while I've been gone. I'm glad to see at least all your hard work starting to pay off. Your pictures are really flattering! Well done!

    ReplyDelete
  2. well Caren. Your photos of your garden could easily be in a gardening magazine...

    ReplyDelete